Monday, June 29, 2009

And so it begins...Teething that is

That's right.  Audrey cut her first tooth today.  At 12 weeks old, I must say that I was surprised.  We had suspicions that she was teething when she started drooling relentlessly about 3 weeks ago.  However, her demeanor didn't change much, so we began to think that maybe it was a false alarm.  Then, yesterday evening, she was extremely fussy.  She was acting like she was hungry, but wouldn't eat.  So, I gave her a pacifier, and she was perfectly content. 

We forgot about the fussy spell when we went to bed that night, and everything seemed normal.  At 2:00 am, Audrey decided to remind us.  She woke us up with her fussing; I thought she might be hungry, because she seems to be getting a bit rounder lately.  I fed her, but she only ate about half of what she normally would.   She fell back asleep, and I went back to bed. 

Only 45 minutes after she fell asleep, she woke up and began fussing again.  All it took was the pacifier to calm her down, and she was asleep again in 5 minutes.  Then, only 45 minutes after that, she awoke once more.  This time, I let her daddy put her back to sleep.  At 5:30, she woke up for the day, as did her extremely exhausted parents. 

I described her behavior the previous night to some coworkers, and several of them mentioned teething as a potential culprit.  So, when I got home during my lunch break to feed Audrey, I did an investigation of her gums.  That revealed one little white tooth poking through the gums in the bottom-right side of her mouth.  I was surprised that it wasn't one of the front teeth, because most babies I know had those ones first.  Nonetheless, Audrey has a tooth coming in.  While it is exciting, I do wish she was old enough to know how to hold the teething toys in her mouth by herself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment