Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Brian is 30!

Today marks a momentus occassion.  My baby brother, Mr. Brian York, celebrates his 30th birthday.  And, what better way to recognize the joyous occasion than with a blog post. 

My brother and I didn't always get along that well.  Like any big sister, I had to pick on Brian. I liked to point out his flaws and shortcomings every chance I got.  And, like any little brother, he did whatever he could to annoy me.  As we've grown older, we still have our moments, but I have come to appreciate my brother for who he is.

My brother has a fantastic smile.  In fact, his smile often gives him away when he's lying or trying to play a joke on someone.  When he was a kid, he had the cutest dimples.  Everyone commented on them, and I was always quite jealous of those dimples. 


My brother is risk averse.  Some people might say he doesn't like change or he is cautious.  That isn't it though...not really anyway.  He just has to see how the benefits of the change outweigh the risk.  Typically, that serves him very well.  I mean, how else can you explain him landing a wife like Lauren :)  Clearly, however, he hasn't seen a lot of benefit in changing his haircut for the past 20 years.


My brother is frugal.  I do tease him about this sometimes (or all of the time), especially when he does spend every spare moment he has finishing his basement himself because he doesn't want to pay someone to do it.  But at the end of the day, he does very well for himself even at 30.  He has a boat, a great house, and is already saving up money for his kids to go to college.  Don't worry, he only has one child on the way, but there's nothing wrong with planning.


My brother prefers classic styles that never really go out of style.  Simple shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes are the staples in which he feels the most comfortable.  Part of the motivation here could have something to do with his frugality, because he gets more wear out of his clothes than just about anyone I know.  For instance, the same EIU tshirt has served him so well that he managed to wear it when meeting both of my sons for the first time.  Those are events that happened 4 years apart! 




In all seriousness though, my brother is a pretty awesome guy. He's dedicated, hard-workging and would do anything for his family and friends.  He's a great uncle to all of my kids.  He's a great dog dad and will be a great human dad to his baby girl.  He's also a pretty fantastic brother to both me and my husband.  I love spending time with him and wish he didn't live 3 hours away. I am so blessed to have grown up with him and, now that we're adults, to call him my friend.

Happy Birthday Brian!

No comments:

Post a Comment