Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Four Years Old

Barrett, Mr. B, B-dub...my little bubby,

How can it be that you are turning 4?  It seems like just yesterday that it was you I was cuddling against my chest and rocking to sleep at night.  Now, you are such an independent, fun loving boy.  Having Fletcher around has made it even more clear just how big you're getting.  I look in awe at your hands and your big blue eyes wondering how it is that you were ever as tiny as your baby brother. 

This past year you made the complete transition from toddler to little boy.  You've lost your baby chub and are now a solidly strong preschooler.  You are so active, all of the time. I find it difficult to keep up.  You love to run, especially with your daddy.  You like to try to wake him up early in the morning to go running with you.  You sit in the stroller most of the time, but your favorite part is when he lets you get out and run beside him for a while.  You recently told me you want to play hockey, soccer, basketball and football.  I can't say I was surprised, because you love sports and want to do everything you see other kids doing.  We're going to start out with ice-skating and hockey now that you're old enough.


In contrast to your active moments, you do still love to snuggle.  Some of my happiest moments over the past few months have been sitting in my chair in the living room with you and your brother both snuggled up with me.  I hope you never get too old to give your mommy a big Barrett sized squeeze and snuggle up to me while we watch a movie. 

 
You love your sister dearly and want to do everything she does, but you would never admit just how much you like her to her face.  You love to annoy her when she isn't paying attention to you, but when she plays with you, you'll do almost anything she says so that she won't get mad and stop playing with you.  I can't count how many forts you've built in the office or living room together. You get so sad when she isn't around, but you have reached that point where you are independent enough that you can make your own fun.  I think you really like the alone time too.


 
Your independence has come through in your interests as well.  You love doing whatever your daddy is doing.  You mow the lawn with him, and even asked for a weed eater and blower for your birthday since you only have a mower.  If he is working on a project in the garage (like the standup), you will stay out there with him for hours watching, bringing him tools, and pretending to do your own projects on the side.  You also emulate your father's love of hockey.  While you'll ask to play soccer or basketball when we're outside, you ask if you can play hockey in the garage at least once a day.  You recently got your own hockey stick when you filled your sticker chart at school for good behavior.  The only time I have seen your prouder than when you brought that stick home was when you met your baby brother for the first time.


Speaking of Fletcher, since he's been born, you have really shown that you are a great helper for mommy and daddy.  You don't hesitate to bring me something when I ask for it or clean up after yourself when prompted.  You've also started making your bed by yourself recently.  It isn't perfect, but at least your trying and do it without complaining.  The only time you really get uncooperative is when you're tired or haven't had enough attention.  I can already tell that you are going to be a hard worker. 

You are also a bit of a worrier.  You will wake up in the middle of the night and realize you left your sunglasses at school.  You do a better job of keeping track of your toys than your sister does, probably because you actually put them away instead of just throwing them somewhere in your room.  When we were at the zoo recently, any time we would have to leave the wagon off to the side to look at an exhibit, you'd spend the whole time asking about the wagon and reminding us that we need to go get it.  Fortunately, this has allowed you to keep your puppy blankie without losing it despite taking it everywhere with you. Your dad and I believe you get your worry-wart nature from your Uncle Brian.


I almost forgot to mention how much you love to laugh and how infectious your laugh is.  You are always being silly and sometimes mischievous.  I think you've inherited your daddy's crazy sense of humor.


Part of me wishes that you'd stay four forever, but then I would never get to experience all of the fun and exciting things you'll continue to learn and do as you grow into a young man.  Even as you grow, you will always be my bubby.  I love you more than words can express. Here's to the wonderful four years you've been in my life and many more in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment