Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Introverts and Extroverts

After 3 weekends in a row of practically non-stop work on the hardwood floor project, this past weekend was a welcome break.  We did some work on the trim, but still managed to spend a lot of time hanging out with family and just relaxing.  It was needed.  I found it interesting though that "relax" meant two very different things for Bill and I. 

On Saturday, our parents all came to the city to run some specific errands, including a trip to the marina where my parents bought their boat.  They met us for lunch before they went, and Billy decided he wanted to go along with them.  I willingly volunteered to take the children home for their naps.  While Billy socialized with our parents and looked at boats, I had some quiet time to myself while the kids slept to get tax documents together and work on some things for a baby shower I am helping host in March.  Billy, a true extrovert, came back completely energized.  I, an ambivert or omnivert, was actually overwhelmed when the group got back from the marina.  I had been introverting for several hours, and after a long week at work where I was forced to extrovert much of the time, I needed the time to myself to energize.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much of an extrovert my husband is.  I am so down the middle between extrovert and introvert (on Meyers-Briggs I am seriously smack-dab in the middle), that at times I find it exciting to go along with my husband at large gatherings.  Other times though, like when I am really tired and stressed, I need peace and quiet to regain my energy and my focus.  So, this weekend, after 3 stressful weekends at home and stressfull weeks at work, we both reverted to our natural tendencies.  The beauty of it was, that we were both able to decompress in different ways and separately from each other.  So, thank you to our parents for coming down to give Billy the socialization he needed and to give me the quiet time I needed!

Just for the record, I will say that I think Barrett takes after his dad and Audrey after me.  When I try to get Barrett to leave school each day, he has to say bye to everyone in the room before he'll walk out the door.  Audrey likes to socialize, but she also enjoys quiet activities by herself.  Part of that could be the age too.  I guess we'll see as they grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment