Monday, February 21, 2011

Attitude Adjustment

It is truly amazing how God can be at work without us even realizing it. By the end of this past week, I felt like I was losing it. After a busy weekend last weekend, preparing for Billy to leave for Israel on Thursday, Billy getting a flat tire on Wednesday morning that required us to replace two tires on the car, and a busy week at work for both of us, by Saturday morning I was at my wits end. In the span of a few hours, I allowed that feeling of being overwhelmed to overtake my better judgment, which lead me to be cross with Billy for not being on Skype when I thought we had agreed to talk, yelled at Audrey for being antsy when she was sitting at the computer desk waiting for her daddy, and was unnecessarily rude to my mom when she wanted to chat on the phone and I wanted to focus on making lunch. Each time, I prayed that God would give me patience and help me stop being crabby.

God answered that prayer by giving me a break from the fussy toddler and the constant running, and by allowing me some much needed time to relax and visit with my girlfriends. That, in conjunction with a fitting message on Psalm 103 at church, renewed my heart and mind. He helped me to take a look at my life through someone else’s eyes, which helped me to see that I was only feeling overwhelmed because of what I was choosing as my focus. I was letting my mind dwell on all of the tasks that I was not getting done because of my current single-mother status while Billy is in Israel. Now, I am trying to praise God for all of the blessings in my life. So, here is a list of just a few that are on my heart today.
  • Praise God for giving me a husband that wants to serve God, loves me unconditionally and works hard to provide for his family. Praise God for using our struggles to make our marriage stronger and serve as a testimony to His power and grace.
  • Praise God for entrusting me with a beautiful, growing, talking, singing daughter.
  • Praise God for bringing me into this world as part a family with a mother that puts up with my attitude, loves me anyway, and continues to help me praise God.
  • Praise God for making me part of the Nance family, who have accepted me and loved me for who I am, even if we don’t always see eye-to-eye.
  • Praise God for my best girlfriends who will listen to me ramble endlessly about all of the little dramas in my life, when I know their hearts are heavy with all of the struggles that they are facing.
  • Praise God for bringing Billy and I to Central Presbyterian Church almost five years ago and for all of the wonderful people that have become a part of our lives as a result.
  • Praise God for giving me a job that challenges me, allows me to use the talents he has given, and helps me provide for my family. Praise God for the understanding and hard-working people with whom I work.
  • Praise God for my two cute puppies that keep the bed from feeling empty when Billy is gone and greet me with enthusiasm every time I walk in the door.

I could go on and on…each time I finish a line, two more pop into my head. I pray that I will be able to maintain this attitude, or at least quickly return to it when my focus becomes diverted. I know God is at work in me, and the way he has turned my attitude around this weekend is proof. Even if I forget the gratitude that reigns in my heart right now, he won’t give up on me. “Praise the Lord, Oh my soul…who redeems your life from the pit and who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy.” Psalm 103:2, 4

1 comment:

  1. Everyone needs a little break every now and then. Sometimes we just have to be better at listening to God when He's telling us it's time!

    ReplyDelete