Sunday, April 28, 2019

God's Resilience

Some days, you know as soon as they start that they are going to be a challenge and only God's grace and resilience will be able to get you through. Yesterday was one of those days.  Billy has been in Seattle for a week now and won't be back until late Friday (so basically Saturday).  I went to bed Friday exhausted after a week of work, running the kids, and trying to keep it halfway together. At 3 am, I woke up to the smell of vomit in the middle of my bed and Tripper whining by the door.  I ran downstairs to let him out, stripped the bed and started a load of laundry.  I got back to sleep about an hour later, only to be awoken again a little before 6 when Barrett barged in my room.  "Fletcher threw up all over his bed," he exclaimed. Before launching myself out of bed for the 2nd time in less than 3 hours, I said a quick prayer.  Really quick actually.  It was 3 words.  "Lord help me."

By 11 am, I had done 5 loads of laundry, bathed 2 of my children, made breakfast for the 2 non-vomiting children, got myself ready, prevented the toddler from making messes with subsequent vomiting, got Barrett to his hockey game on time, and loaded the car to head to Greenville.  As we were driving, I said another prayer.  This one was a bit longer, and then I turned up the music and drove.  My eyes were heavy from the lack of sleep, and I was struggling to stay awake. Then I looked back at the kids and noticed all of them were asleep.  I expected Fletcher to fall asleep, but not the older two. And Tripper, the dog that threw up in my bed, was sitting contently staring out the window.  It was peaceful. I was able to clear my mind and just be for the rest of the ride. God was watching over me and knew I needed that quiet time to recharge.

In Greenville, we spent the afternoon with my grandparents helping them with their move into an assisted living apartment. It was emotionally challenging, but the car ride there had given me the rest I needed to power through.  By dinner time, they were settled, my kids were worn out from helping/playing, and we enjoyed a nice meal with my family.  The car ride home, all of the kids and dogs fell asleep.  As I reflected back on the day that had started out so crazily, I realized that it had actually been quite peaceful and enjoyable. So, how could a day that started so poorly end so peacefully?  Because of God's loving grace and caring resilience.



I've posted here about my 2019 goal to living in the How. As we were singing the Fruits of the Spirit with our Sunday school kids this morning, I realized that yesterday I really did live in the How.  I didn't freak out when Tripper threw up on my bed or when Fletcher threw up in his. Instead, I let God help me through it, which allowed me to focus on the how. I didn't go to my default setting and try to control the situation, blame Billy for being gone, or even throw myself a pity party.  I focused on one thing at a time, asked Audrey and Barrett to help where they could, and miraculously, without yelling or swearing, I made it through the morning on schedule with everything done that needed to be done...plus 5 loads of laundry. And, I got to spend some quality time with my grandparents in the afternoon, which I haven't done in a long time.

God is so good. He hears our prayers, even if they are only 3 words and uttered with a sigh. Many times, the way he answers our prayers aren't as direct or clear as what I experienced yesterday. I guess that's part of the reason I wanted to write about it. So the next time he isn't answering my prayer in an obvious and immediate way, I will remember that he is there, he is listening, and he will grant me the peace that surpasses all understanding.

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayers and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment