Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother Appreciation Day

The past couple of weeks have been hectic.  An entire week went by where my husband and I didn't see each other at all and talked for maybe a total of an hour over that period of time.  All of the kids have entered new stages that have brought with them a lot of frustration for both parent and child.  Work has also been busy for Billy and I.  In all of the chaos, more times than I'd like to admit, I have found myself losing my temper, feeling sorry for myself, and simmering with anger at the ones I love the most. I begin to wonder how anyone ever balances it all and start to wish I didn't have to.

Then, in the midst of it, I am humbled by the realization that I am not the first woman to experience this.  In fact, there are two amazing women that have paved the trail, literally, right before me. You could also say they paved the trail with and for me.  Billy and I's moms both worked full time while raising their children, and their children were the better for it.  We never doubted their love and devotion.  In fact, I remember times when I wish my mom didn't care so much about my life and would just leave me alone.

In the midst of working, keeping house, being wives and friends, they somehow managed to be there when we needed them, and even when we just wanted them there.  They taught us to be independent and resourceful.  They listed to who knows how many concerts and plays.  They cheered us on when we were succeeding and lifted us up when we were failing.  They never let us quit, unless we really needed to.  They taught us how to make decisions on our own, but also to appreciate and respect the advice and experiences of those that went before us.

They also had moments where they struggled.  Moments when they lost their temper and did or said things they didn't mean.  They weren't always perfect.  To be honest, when my mom went through a casserole phase, she had everyone in the house wishing for PB&J.  Yet, it's those imperfect moments that make me love them more and truly appreciate all they did for us. They weren't perfect, because none of us are.  But they persevered. They did everything in their power to keep us safe and cared for. They loved us well, and we never doubted that we were loved.

I just hope that my children feel half as loved by me as Billy and I did by our moms growing up. Our moms set an amazing example that we only aspire to live up to.  So, Rosie and Lana, thank you.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you for all of the sacrifices you made, instrument practicing you endured, patience you showed, lessons you taught, and love you gave. Billy and I are all the better for it, and our children are too.





No comments:

Post a Comment