Sunday, August 21, 2016

Rite of Passage

There are many rites of passage in the lives of a young girl, and none of them is more memorable than getting your ears pierced.  I was 8, and I still remember the day well.  My mom had told me I had to be 13 before I got my ears pierced, because that is how old she was.  However, my aunt Nancy was one of the most persuasive people I have ever known.  So, after a day of shopping with her, my mom was convinced to let me go ahead and pierce my ears. 

For Audrey, I didn't have a hard fast rule.  I just wanted to make sure she was old enough to be responsible and take care of her ear piercings.  To that end, this summer, she had to show that she could be responsible and take care of her things.  She also had to read several chapter books.  Since she completed her goals, yesterday was the big day.  When she woke up, she chose a dress to wear, because "it was comfortable but still looked a little fancy."  We went to Claire's at West County Mall right when it opened.  She chose simple little studs that have just a little sparkle.  She was excited, but nervous.  Despite the nerves, she was extremely brave and didn't shed a tear. 



As silly as it is, she seems so much more grown up with the earrings.  She's so grown up in fact that she started taking selfies.  She made sure you could see her earrings after she took the one below.  It is so fun to share these moments with my daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment