Monday, October 13, 2014

The Joys of Autumn

Yes, it's that time.  It's time for my annual post to celebrate the joys of fall.   Even though it is a little past the official start of fall, it is just now really starting to feel like fall.  There are pumpkins on our porch, candy corn in the kitchen, and leaves lying in the grass.  I made an apple pie yesterday. Oh, and the weather has cooled off too.  I am not sure why I like fall so much.  There are so many wonderful things about fall that it must be the combination of them that makes it such a perfect season.

Fall is a welcome break from the heat of the summer.  As much as I love open toed shoes, dawning boots on a cold, rainy day is so comforting.  It is also nice to just stay inside and snuggle with my puppies.


I enjoy apples, pumpkin, and all of the other edible treats we've come to associated with fall.  Last weekend we had chili and this weekend we made an apple pie. The colors of fall are also vibrant and fun.  Decorating with them makes me ridiculously happy. It makes me smile to see the wreath on our front door or the sunflowers in my kitchen. Ahh, the simple things. 

 

I also love that our summers of constant travel give way to quiet weekends at home with the family.  This weekend, Billy got out the millions of legos he owns (stacked in tubs to the left of him in this picture) for the kids to play with.  I think daddy did more playing than the kids though. 
 

Once the cool weather settles in, we also tend to spend more time with friends and extended family that we don't see at one of the lakes during the summer.  Just yesterday, we went to Litchfield to hang out with Lana's side of the family.  We had lots of yummy food, and the kids got to ride Daisy the mule.


 
Another great aspect of the season is that, because we're home on the weekends, we are able to go to church regularly again.  That is something I've been craving, and I am so thankful to have a church to go to where we are learning to live out the love of Christ. It is so easy to get caught up in all of the worldly things that surround us, and it seems like every summer I become more susceptible to those things.  So, I pray that this fall, along with all of the simple joys the season brings, that it brings the joy of spiritual revival for me and our family.  God's blessings are all around us, so let's celebrate them with praise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment