Sunday, October 26, 2014

Barrett's Imagination

Barrett likes to get up early.  During the week, I am usually out of the shower and drying my hair when he comes charging into my bathroom to greet me.  Because we want Audrey to be able to sleep as long as possible, I let him stay with me in the bathroom and try to keep him quiet.  As you can imagine, that is not the easiest task, especially when I need to get myself ready at the same time.  To keep Barrett entertained, I give him access to a couple of drawers in the bathroom that hold items that he won't break or hurt himself with.  One of those drawers is the one that holds my hair dryer, brushes, flat iron, and curling iron. 

A couple of weeks ago, Barrett decided to take my curling iron out of the drawer and started carrying it around the bathroom.  Subsequently, he found the attachments for my hair dryer that I don't use.  He really liked the one that had the comb on it, and I soon found out why.  He took the cord to the iron and put the plug end into the middle of the hair dryer attachment.  Then, he started walking the curling iron around the bathroom holding it with the "hot" end down.  As he started to swing it side to side, he began making an "errrrrrrrrr" sound.  I observed for a few minutes trying to figure out what he was doing, and then he stopped.  He walked over to the vanity, and I thought for sure he'd lost interest in whatever game he was playing in his mind.  I was wrong.  He grabbed a plastic bottle of foot cream and took it to the curling iron where he pretended to dumb some on it.  Then, he resumed his activity swinging the iron back and forth as he walked across the floor. 

At that point, I had to know what he was imagining, so I asked.  Barrett's reply was, "I mow."  Now, every morning while I get ready, Barrett mows the bathroom. I think it's pretty cute, and I like the fact that he's entertaining himself.  Billy, however, is usually trying to get a few extra moments of sleep while I am getting ready.  So now, thanks to Barrett, his last dreams are always interrupted by "errrrrrrrrrr."

No comments:

Post a Comment