Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Deck the Halls

It is our first Christmas living in our new house!  We closed on our house December 17 of last year, which is one year ago today.  At that time, we were painting and preparing to move in over the holidays.  From the moment I walked in the front door, I wanted to wrap garland around the bannister on the staircase and put a Christmas tree in the bay window on the front of the house. 

This year, all of our holiday decorating aspirations have become reality.  We have had fun decorating, but it has been a process.  Living in the condo, we didn't have a lot of space, so we really limited the decorations.  Now that we have space, we were able to really deck the halls.  There were many trips to pick up more of this or that, but now we are enjoying the results. 

In the office, we put the artificial tree that we bought for the condo, so that you can see it through the bay window on the front of the house. 


Since we have the two-story high ceilings in the living room, you know that Billy couldn't resist putting a gi-nourmous tree in the living room.  It also had to be real; so, we ventured out to Daniken Tree Farm in Greenville and found the perfect 12.5 foot beauty. 

 
Since we don't have a truck, Bill was kind enough to drive it to St. Louis for us in the back of his truck.
 
 
Then we had to get it in the house. I can honestly say I didn't know they made tree stands that big.   Fortunately, it was wrapped, so it fit through the door with relative ease.  I can tell you that I am not looking forward to getting it out at the end of the season.
 
 
 

We unwrapped it and let it sit for a day before we decorated.  It took 100 feet of lights and 2 tubs of ornaments to complete the masterpiece.  Thanks to both of our mothers for keeping our ornaments for us all of those years so we have more than enough to go around.

 
Once the tree was complete, it towered over the living room.  So, I decided to spice up the mantle with some holiday frames and, of course, Granny Gerdes' handmade stockings.
 

From the moment I saw the staircase in our house, I wanted to wrap it in garland and ribbon for Christmas.  That wish has become a reality thanks to some garland, a lot of ribbon, and my crafty bow-making skills.

 
 

I realize that the holiday decorating is not a necessity.  It is just fun, and if it ever gets to a point where the fun is lost, I won't do it.  But, with a new house to decorate and young children who are full of wonder and delight, I will look forward to the time when I get to deck the halls with trees and garland every year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment