Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Mother Looks at 30

If you had asked me 15 years ago what my life would be like when I turned 30, I don't think I could have even imagined my life would be as full as it is.  Husband, children, career, friends, and the list goes on.  I know I would have laughed in your face if you had told me I would be married to Billy Nance and that we would have two beautiful children together.  I guess I always imagined myself as a career woman, but the success I've had already in my career amazes me every day.  We are about to close on the purchase of a home we love that is more of my dream home than I ever thought I would have at this age.  I really am so blessed in so many ways.  Admittedly, finding balance with so much going on is difficult, but God is always with me, guiding and protecting.

Sometimes I wonder why God is so good to me when I am just another sinful human that falls short of his grace daily.  I hope that as I go through my 30s, I can serve God better and make better use of the gifts he's given me.  I am a wife/mother/employee/boss/daughte/sister/friend with room to improve across the board, and I hope that God will continue to give me plenty of opportunities to do so. 

To celebrate the close of my third decade of life, my amazing husband made a dream of mine a reality.  After we got married 7 years ago, I was sad to see my beautiful dress sealed in a box.  I loved wearing it, and I wanted to wear it again.  Fortunately, after 7 years and 2 children, I am still able to fit into it.  So, Billy threw me a Bridal Gown Gala on Saturday night.  Many of our friends joined us for dinner, and all of the ladies dressed up in bridesmaids dresses and other gowns.  I, of course, wore my wedding dress. 

I unsealed the box the night before the party, and I think Audrey was more excited than I was.  She wanted to touch it, told me I looked like a princess in it, and kept saying it was "soooo beautiful."  Barrett just wanted to eat the box.  We did manage to get Audrey to sit in the box too, but just long enough to take a picture.


Since Audrey didn't get to go to the party, I let her put on a dress from her closet that she thought looked like a princess dress.  Then, we took some photos together. I was sad that the children weren't celebrating with us at the party, so I was glad that Audrey and I could share that moment where we were both dressed up like princesses.  I know that many mothers save their wedding dress, hoping that someday, their daughter will want to wear it for her wedding.  I don't know that I will hold on to that hope too closely, but I am going to re-preserve the dress.  Maybe I'll break it out again in 10 or 20 years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment