Sunday, April 15, 2012

Change is...Good?

Leaving the Marquette has been harder than I think any of us thought it would be. I keep asking myself if it would be this hard if we were moving into a new house that we'd purchased instead of a rental property. Nonetheless, I keep having to remind myself that living downtown wasn't perfect. There are many things that I will miss, and some that I won't. Here is a quick run-down.

I am missing...
-My non-existent commute (who didn't guess that would be at the top of the list?)
-Having Audrey's daycare conveniently located for both Billy and I to pick up/drop off
-Believe it or not, the Pet Park on the roof- I had forgotten that astro turf doesn't get muddy when it rains or get feet dirty to track in leaves and sticks
-Being in a new house with new appliances and new...everything
-The bookshelves by the fireplace
-2 bathrooms
-Being able to do laundrey right in the living room
-Having both cars in covered parking
-The excellent soundproofing-Our upstairs neighbors are pretty quiet now, but you can still hear them
-Our big master bedroom and closet
-Having a doorman to get parcels that are delivered

I am not missing...
-Taking the dogs up and down elevators to walk them
-All of the condo association stuff (although I can't remember my Yahoo ID and password to log in and take myself off of the listserve)
-Audrey's too-small-to-call-a-bedroom-room - she loves her new room and her big girl bed, which wouldn't have even fit in the room at the Marquette
-Not knowing where the baby would sleep since he has his own room now
-Having the computer and TV right outside of Audrey's door, which was a window covered up by a curtain that she could peak out of
-The tiny, impractical washer and dryer - The dryer at the apartment dries loads in 30 mintes that would have taken an hour or more at the Marquette
-Circling the parking garage 8 times to get in or out
-Free street parking for visitors
-Extra city income tax for being a city resident
-Sports related traffic and "tourists"

The biggest adjustment, believe it or not, has been only having 1 bathroom, not my commute. Even though the second bathroom was only a half bath, it is amazing how convenient it made things. Now, we all have to get ready in the same bathroom...fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment