Monday, September 18, 2017

Missing Jackson Lee

On July 7, 2004, Billy and I drove from Columbia toward St. Louis.  We were meeting my mom and brother at Mid-Rivers mall so we could pick up a dress I needed for the sorority convention I was going to that next week.  We were also going to do some shopping, because I worked at Dillard's and my mom wanted to take advantage of my discount.  We were walking around the mall when we saw a bunch of puppies in the front window of the pet store.  All of them but one were some sort of terriers.  The last one was a little black cocker spaniel.


Now, I know that is the worst place to buy a pet, but I also know that God put that little puppy in our path. So, about an hour later, we walked out to our car with that little puppy trotting along on a leash like he'd known us his whole life.  Looking back, those 10 weeks he spent without us were nothing compared to the 13 years he spent with us.  He was the best natured dog I've ever met.  He loved people, got along well with other dogs, didn't bark really at all, and was loyal to the end. 


Jackson Lee was a full-blooded English Cocker Spaniel with AKC papers and everything.  His coat was considered blue, although when his hair got long it just looked black with some gray spots. His hair got long a lot in those early years too because we were moving around a lot.  When we got him, we were both in college.  He lived with Billy at the KA house in Rolla for a semester, and then moved to Columbia with me for the spring semester while I went to grad school. 


After that, he spent 9 months in Peoria with Billy (coming to Columbia twice a month in between) before we made it to St. Louis.  First we were in an apartment, and then the Marquette condo.  At the Marquette, Jack had to learn to do his business on Astroturf.  Then we were in a duplex for about 9 months before settling in our current house almost 5 years ago.  If you do the math, that means Jack was 8 before he had a yard with a fence.  I think that was made up for by all of the time Jack got to spend at the lakes.






Jack loved being on the water.  He loved riding on the boat, especially when he could get up front and let the wind blow back his ears.  He also loved swimming, at least until he got older.  The part I think he liked most about visiting both Lake O and Greenville was the wide open yards where he could just run.  He loved to run back and forth across the yards as fast as he could.  He especially loved it when we would throw a ball as far as we could so he could retrieve it and bring it back.  That dog would never stop playing fetch.  We'd have to hide the ball because our arms were tired before he would quit.  After we got Stella, the two of them would go charging around the yards; you couldn't really call it a race though once Stella was full grown, because she was always faster.


While playing fetch was Jack's favorite activity, he also liked catching balls we threw up in the air.  I taught him how to do that when he lived with me in Columbia by throwing him popcorn.  I'd sit on the couch eating popcorn and watching a movie, and he's sit in the floor waiting for me to toss him pieces of popcorn.  Over time, he got better and better until he almost never missed.


Even though Jack was a dog, it was so clear just how much he loved us.  He knew I was pregnant before I did every time.  He would follow me around and wouldn't let me out of his sight.  Any time I was sick or not feeling well, he was always snuggling up with me on the couch.  He was my protector, and when the children came, he was theirs too.  With Audrey especially, he wouldn't let her out of his sight.  He'd sit on the end of our bed and watch her sleep in her pack'n'play.  He would whine when she cried to let us know we needed to hurry up and help her.  Once, my mom took her car seat and went to put it in the car, and Jack was determined to go too.  We had to carry him back into the house because he wasn't about to let that baby out of his sight. 



With Barrett and Fletcher, Jack was more used to the routine, but just as protective.  He never snapped at any of them, even when they were mean to him; he lived to keep them safe.  He loved them dearly.  He loved them so much that he didn't even care that he got considerably less attention than he did before they were born.  He just enjoyed the much slower version of fetch that comes along with toddlers throwing the ball instead of an adult.



Jack really slowed down this past year, but he was so good natured, he never made a bit deal about it.  He had a servant spirit and served up to the end.  Sunday night, he laid with us in bed.  We cuddled him and petted him, not knowing that would be the last evening we'd spend with him.  I am so thankful for those moments.  We knew he didn't have long left, but we weren't expecting him to go as quickly as he did.  Within a few hours, he was at peace.


Jackson...Jack...Jack Jack, we miss you so much.  You were our first baby, my Sunday afternoon snuggle buddy, our nighttime foot warmer, our prancing puppy, our protector and loyal friend.  I am so grateful that you chose us to be your family and gave us so many wonderful years.  I know we'll never have another dog as wonderful as you.  


Jackson Lee Nance 
April 26, 2004 - September 10, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment