Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Say What!?

We are all getting excited about the arrival of baby #3.  Audrey and Barrett's interest in the baby has grown in tandem with the size of my belly.  The past couple of weeks, they've started to talk more about the baby and ask more questions.  I wanted to share some of my favorites here so you all can laugh along with me.
  • Barrett frequently asks if he can "see the baby," which entails lifting up my shirt to see my belly.  Fortunately, I have trained him that he can't do that unless we're at home. 
  • Audrey inquired yesterday morning, "Mommy, why is it just your belly that is getting bigger and not your whole body?"  Bless you child...that made my day.
  • The other day when my belly was exposed, Barrett walked up to me and poked my belly button.  Then he did it again and again as he giggled.  "Mommy," he said, "I am poking the baby's nose."  I explained that was just my belly button, but he continued to say it was his nose.
  • Audrey and Barrett were playing the other day when I overheard Audrey tell Barrett, "Now Barrett, you are too small to carry the baby; only I can carry the baby, because I am a big kid."  I quickly jumped in to set the expectation with Audrey that she would not be carrying the baby either.  I think we are going to have to watch that very closely. 
  • Last night, I was laying on the floor and Barrett came over and wanted to see the baby.  He was moving around a lot at that moment, so I put Barrett's hand on the spot where I'd felt him move.  The baby didn't disappoint, and seemed to do an entire gymnastics routine for his big brother.  Barrett was thrilled; he laughed so hard I think he was almost crying. 
  • Audrey wants the baby to be born on her birthday.  It is a definite possiblity, and I appreciate that she is so willing to share her special day.
  • Audrey and Barrett have both told their teachers now that the baby's name is Vladimir.  That is not the baby's name; that is just what we jokingly tell people who try to get us to divulge the real name (which we aren't sharing).  We continually explain this to the children, but I really don't think they understand.  I have a feeling it is going to take some time after he is born for them to adjust to his real name.
  • Audrey is very fascinated by the size of the baby.  She is always asking me things like, "Is he as big as my hand," or "Is he as big as my head?"  Tonight, I had to laugh when she asked, "Is he as big as the TVs in the back of the car?" 
  • I get a lot of questions from both children about what the baby is eating while he is in my belly.  I have tried to explain the placenta and umbilical cord, but I think that is just too hard for them to grasp at this point.  As such, I have reverted to just listing the items in my last meal to them.
I am sure the interesting observations from Audrey and Barret will continue, so I will try to do a better job of keeping up with this blog and writing about them as they happen.  I am officially 30 weeks, so we're almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment