Saturday, February 20, 2016

Love is...

I intended to do this post for Valentine's Day, but it is appropriately late. 

TV and movies typically focus on the beginnings of romantic love.  You don't see as much of the maintenance and nurture.  As I think about it though, I guess I understand why.  It isn't as exciting or attractive.  In fact, in many ways it is downright boring.  After 10 years of marriage, I can definitely say that my husband and I don't have a boring relationship, but I would also say that it is far from the attractive ideals of the movies.  It is much more about self-sacrifice and humility than self-indulgence and affirmation.  So, in honor of my husband, here is my explanation of how he has come to define love within our marriage.

Love is...
  • just getting an extra blanket when your pregnant wife insists on running the ceiling fan when it is 10 degrees outside.
  • busting your butt to get things ready for the nursery because the same pregnant wife can't lift, paint, sand or carry just about anything.
  • taking two kids to the Magic House by yourself on a Saturday just so your wife can work in peace. 
  • postponing plans to make upgrades to your jet ski to first make sure your"honey-do" list is complete (and not complaining about it at all).
  • caring about the paint colors coordinating in the nursery because you know it will make her happy, even if you could really care less.
  • telling your wife she looks really cute (and meaning it) when she is wearing sweatpants, a t-shirt, and no makeup.
I could make the list much longer, but you get the idea.  I am so thankful to have a husband that can tolerate my crazy, crabby, pregnant self and love me just the same as he did when I stayed up past 9 and liked getting dressed up just for fun. 

This picture is from when Billy took Audrey to her school's father/daughter dance a couple of weeks ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment