Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Frog comes out of Sunshine

It is hard to believe that Barrett is becoming a toddler.  Just over a year ago, he started going to Downtown Children's Center in the Sunshine room for infants.  This past week, he transitioned to the Frog room with the other toddlers.  I remember when Audrey made this transition (although she was in the Rainbow room), and it was amazing how much she developed in her first couple of months being around the "big kids."  I am sure that Barrett will be the same way.  Just in the pat week, his vocabulary started exploding.  He now says "good," "drink," "thank you," and "I do" in the proper context.  It still catches me off guard when he uses words that I understand in response to the world around him.  Just today at lunch, he wanted more water, and after I got it for him, he said "thank you."  Granted, to an untrained ear, it may sound like "da-ooh," but clarity will come with time.

In addition to words, Barrett's non-verbal development has surged forward in the past month.  He still has his glowing smile, but now he accompanies it with waving, pointing, open-mouth slobber kisses, and nasty tantrums to communicate as well.   He practically runs everywhere and has outgrown many of his baby toys.  He prefers his sister's toys much of the time, specifically her child-sized Dyson vacuum and her kitchen set.  Audrey does remarkably well with letting him play with her toys, as long as he doesn't touch Bitty Baby or her accessories. 


Barrett has also taken a keen interest in silverware.  He successfully wields his dining utensils once or twice a meal to move his food from plate to mouth; the rest of the time, he holds up the spoon or fork in his right hand like it is a torch and he is the Statue of Liberty while shoveling food into his mouth with the left hand.  It has yet to be seen whether he will be left-handed, but it is looking that way right now. 


I know that the next few months are going to be filled with developmental milestones, which always leaves me with a sense of pride and joy mixed with a pang of sadness.  As a parent, you always want your child to keep growing into the independent person that God created him/her to be, but at the same time you want to hold on to the baby you brought into this world and cared for.  For me, it is more prevalent with Barrett right now.  I think part of that is because I just stopped nursing him about 2 weeks ago, so I don't get that mommy and baby time with him anymore.  It still happens with Audrey though, especially when she tries to at in a way that she thinks is more grown up.  I guess I should be thankful that I have so many friends who will be welcoming babies over the next year, so I can still get my baby fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment