Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter Weather

This is our first official post on the new blog. With the new setup, you can see who actually authored the post, because Billy and I have our own separate accounts. I have a feeling, however, that I will continue to do most of the writing.

We are becoming increasingly tired of these cold winter months. With the impending "winter weather" that we are expecting this week, it looks like we had better find ways to entertain ourselves, because it isn't going away any time soon. Billy is excited at the prospect of snow, whereas I am more ambivalent. There is a sense of childlike wonder at snow, which Audrey makes more apparent for us. At the same time, I live less than a block from my workplace. This is a blessing in that I do not have to get out and drive around in the ice and snow. On the other hand, I will not be getting any snow days. I guess that is a little bit of a positive too, because I am getting pretty tired of being inside of the house.

I think Audrey is looking forward to the snow. Most of the snow we got in the last storm has melted, leaving only an occasional pile on the edge of the sidewalk where it was once piled to clear a path for people to walk. Every time Audrey sees one of those piles, she heads straight for it and stomps in it, whether she is wearing boots or dress shoes. She can now say the word snow very clearly, which makes it fun when we are watching the snow fall outside of our windows. Maybe it's because our windows are so big, but the snow just seems so magical when we are watching it fall on the city streets. Living downtown does, however, make it difficult to go outside and play in the snow. The sidewalks get cleared quickly, the streets get salted and quickly become yucky brown mush, and the park is a few blocks away.

As I think about the contrast between snowfall in the city and the country, I am struck by the fact that we have experienced both sides of the coin. We are very luck to have lived in the country and seen the peaceful fields of untouched white extending for miles. We are also lucky to have seen snowflakes dance in the streetlights as they fall on tall, majestic buildings. Wherever you are, I hope you too can take in the beauty of God's amazing creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment